Sample lease agreement
Here is an example of a farmland rental lease drafted by lawyers and free for download, alteration and use. By accessing or downloading this farm lease agreement, you acknowledge and agree that Farm & Food Care Ontario shall not be liable for damages of any kind arising out of your access of, or use of the farm lease agreement.
- NOTE: This lease makes assumptions that the land has no dwelling or buildings on it, and that the land will be for grain farming. Additions to this lease for an individual’s specific circumstances can be made, and it is advised to consult a lawyer.
- NOTE: This is an annotated lease, meaning that the highlighted areas are for description and not meant to be included in a final legal document.
It is often thought that a legal document favours the rights of the landowner, and so we took efforts to add new elements to protect both the renter, and the environment:
- 5.1 Covenants | that will trigger a discussion on farmland management, investment in infrastructure and environmental concerns.
- 8.3 Compensation clause | that will ensure a renter be compensated for investments in the case of early termination of the agreement.
- Schedule C – Covenants 2.1 (d) | includes environmental stipulations that can be added to if agreed upon by both parties at the outset.